Recent and ongoing projects
Overview assessment of Ecuador legal and institutional framework in relation to environmental and social standards ESS5 and ESS7
Client : Golder Associates Inc., for the World Bank
Insuco worked with Golder Associates Inc to conduct the Overview Assessment of Ecuador Legal and Institutional Framework in relation to the World Bank Environmental and Social Standards ESS5- Land acquisition, restrictions and land use and involuntary resettlement, and ESS7- Indigenous Peoples Historically Underserved and Traditional Local Communities.
The main objective of the study was to support the World Bank team in conducting the Overview Assessment to i) determine whether Ecuador’s institutional and legal framework is materially consistent with the objectives set out in the ESSs 5 and 7, ii) set out short-, medium- and long-term recommendations for strengthening Ecuador’s frameworks along with capacity building opportunities, iii) Identify an initial set of capacity building opportunities.
In addition, Insuco designed a stakeholder consultation strategy for the World Bank to validate the key findings of the overview assessment with relevant stakeholders.
To comply with the objectives, Insuco implemented the following activities:
- Review of relevant policies, laws, and regulations in relation to ESS5 and ESS7 in Ecuador,
- Mapping and description of the institutions and processes pertinent to ESS5 and ESS7,
- Report of the relevant aspects of the laws and regulations with regard to the requirements set out in the ESS5 and ESS7,
- Stakeholder Engagement strategy,
- Recommendations for strengthening Ecuadorian’s framework.
The deliverables as part of the project were:
- Inception report with work plan.
- Compilation of the relevant policies, laws, and regulations related to ESS5 and ESS7 in Ecuador, and separate analysis in matrix format comparing national legislation and ESS.
- Report of the relevant aspects of the laws and regulations with regard to the requirements set out in the ESS5 and ESS7, including mapping and description of the institutions and processes pertinent to ESS 5 and ESS7.
- Template of the Resettlement Policy Framework for World Bank Projects based on ESS5 and national law.
- Template of Indigenous Peoples Framework, based on ESS7 and national law.
- Stakeholders Consultation Strategy.
Tell us about your project!
Do you wish to discuss your project and its challenges? To learn more about Insuco and our expertise? To meet with us?